Sponge Homer

Homer H. Hillis, Jr. sponges all kinds of information, business, political and trends. I've been seen on the Sally Jesse Rafeal show with noted trend spotter Faith Popcorn. My Blog will give you an over view of what I'm seeing and reflections on the same.

Sunday, July 25, 2004

The New York Times > Opinion > Guest Columnist: Wal-Mars Invades Earth We are about to add to Wal-Mart conquest in Abilene, and no one is upset. In fact its about the best news for our northside of town in a long time. Abilene is welcoming the news. Any job is welcomed. No protest no fights in what its doing to downtown or main street. I guess we're just glad to have the business. I suspect many will regret this in, lets say Stamford, Texas. There in a few years they'll be without a Wal-mart, after they Wal-Mart sees that they've moved those dollars to the Abilene northside Super Center.
Where do I stand? Wal-mart needs reigning in. Its time.
Wal-Mart is 1% of China's GDP, thats major for a retailer.
And its growing.
Part of me says: build it as big as the market will let you. But we've been down those roads before.
I filled out a vendor application one time for Wal-Mart, they asked me who my supplier was. Now that's a personal question, I'm reluctant to disclose that information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home