Sponge Homer

Homer H. Hillis, Jr. sponges all kinds of information, business, political and trends. I've been seen on the Sally Jesse Rafeal show with noted trend spotter Faith Popcorn. My Blog will give you an over view of what I'm seeing and reflections on the same.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

My Father in Law At Work


My Father in Law At Work
Originally uploaded by homerh.

This is my father in law Herb in Tenn, he has agreed to work on the next space shuttle:

He writes:

Last week we had several nights down in the 20s. All my outside faucets are freeze proof to down around zero, except one. That on broke back in the summer & I sorta kinda nurly fixed it by taking the head off & screwing on a plactic one.

I knew the plastic was good to the upper 20s, but one night the forcast called for a drop into the teens & I knew my little wallmart special plastic faucet wouldn't stand it that cold.

So, I wrapped it with newspaper, & fastened it securly with electrical tape. Then I took an old towel & wrapped over the newspaper, securing it with black electircal tape also.

But, I was afraid that wasn't good enough, so in casting about for a way to insure that it wouldn't freeze & break I happed to see a styrofoam cooler sitting there . . . next to my garden plow . . . so . . .

. . . not the easiest thing to do at midnight, in sub freezin, weather with a 20 mph norther whippin' in, but I covered the faucet with the cooler with one hand, with the other I pulled the tiller up snug agianst it, & presto! Freeze proof faucet!

4 Comments:

Blogger Tailpipe Terry said...

Reminds me of a recent TV commercial where a boy is bragging about how his dad fixes everything.
Then it shows a series of patch jobs using duct tape and tie wraps.
Some of us are just born Fixer's.
I'm just thinking what he might use on an old rusty tailpipe????

2/25/2006 09:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tail pipe terry:
Herb here, Homer's father-in-law . . .

Rusty tail pipe? Easy one man! Get you some veggie cans, cut out both ends, then slice all the way down one side & slip over the tail pipe. Take baleing wire & tighten with pliers at both ends of the can, or cans (to avoid trips to the emergency room, it's best to do this AFTER the exaust system has cooled). Then, to completly stop the leaks, mix up some JB Weld and cover any cracks, splits, etc. Possibly have to repeat JB Weld a time or two more . . . for long repairs, use those tall juice cans . . . (if leaks persist, stuff cracks with crumpled up aluminum foil before applying JB Weld) . . . now send me a hard one . . . hls

2/26/2006 08:51:00 PM  
Blogger Tailpipe Terry said...

Herb,
Knowing Homer he's probably up late tonight figuring out a way to bubble wrap your patch kit "idea" and market it to Auto Zone as an "Exhaust Repair Kit." I'll look for them soon in a store near me.
Maybe market them under, "HHH" (Herb's Home Helps)

2/26/2006 10:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! If it works, don't knock it. Necessity is the mother of invention--Maybe the tiller company will pick up your idea for even more uses of their product! Lil

2/27/2006 01:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home